Review: Clover Press Perfect Roll & Press



 
Won't pull or distort fabric. Wheel tapered to focus pressure on seam. Prevents seam impression on right side of project. Comfortable, ergonomic handle. Perfect for paper piecing or laminates. Use to seal glued seams on leather and felt. – Clover-usa.com

I had no idea I would use this little tool as much as I have.  I really thought it was a cheap gimmick to throw into a monthly subscription box.  Straight talk right there. However, when I started a granny square quilt for the Pea Pod made from little 2.5 inch blocks I used it to lay down the seams and it works great.  No need to have an iron right next to me (small space means I would have to take the pieces to another room) and I was able to do an entire block without getting up.  As you can see from the pic, it doesn't press the seam completely flat but its enough to make a nested join.  After blocks were completed I did a proper press on the blocks. I also live in the south and the idea of standing over a hot iron is less than appealing.
I also like that Pea Pod who is 4 can use it as she is doing some basic quilt piecing without the fear of burns.
Although I haven’t tried it for this purpose I’m guessing it would be great for those pieces that you pre-fold to get a stich line to follow like with flying geese blocks. Then you don’t have to mark on your fabric or heat up and iron. I’ll have to test it out.
Price: $15.50 Now, here’s where I have to give Clover the side-eye.  Really, $15?  Granted I do feel it is a sturdy tool but not $15 sturdy…not even something I would have bought seeing that price. 
Secondly I would have to say that although it works I would not agree with their statement that it doesn’t pull or distort the fabric.  In order to put enough pressure on the roller to compress the seam you can clearly see the fabric being pulled and in the end my fabric bows a little.  Now, with this particular pattern this bow in the fabric can be eased out when joining rows I’m also not so concerned with the perfect points or perfect anything so I’m not particularly upset about this aspect, but it does happen. I also tried it with thick joins and it didn’t really work.  It tends to slip off the joined area. 
 
In Summary:
Pros: useful for quick piecing and it’s not a danger to young hands. Possibly great for pressing stich lines in fabric.

Cons: Price, it does distort fabric and doesn’t do much for multiple layers of fabric joined to a point.

So yeah, I will continue to use the Roll & Press but only because it came in a monthly box, not because I would go out and buy it. Or I might miss it and go out and buy another one if mine was lost or broken, although I don’t think it will break.

 


Comments

Popular Posts